[Foundation-l] what do we do in the event the Foundation fails? - Re: Policy governance ends

Jeff V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Wed Apr 18 23:30:05 UTC 2007

David Gerard wrote:

>>Handing out hard drives containing the complete commons image set (and
>>anything else that can be fitted on) to chapter representatives and
>>wikimania would have certain advantages since the image dumps would
>>get to those who need them without the bandwidth cost and server load.
>>

>Why lug drives around? We can torrent the stuff easily enough.
>
>The hard part is generating the first dump.
>

>- d.

One point Danny Wool has made is that no one is listening and folks are
in their own world on a lot of these issues.
There are bittorrent downloads already. I have been serving them up for
several weeks. To date, 7 complete copies
of the 213 GB file have been downloaded through my bittorrent servers.
It takes about 1 1/2 weeks per copy.
I just posted the tools to do it in a day and a half. They work. The
traffic has been non-stop and I have limited
the upload speeds since the first day all the torrent clients exceeded 4
mb/s systained.

I have been dealing with these massive downloads for months.

Jeff