[Foundation-l] what do we do in the event the Foundation fails? - Re: Pol...

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 22:27:07 UTC 2007

On 18/04/07, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> 1) In the event of a major wikidisaster, we would likely see in fact a
> multitude of do-gooders and charlatans try to be the "next Wikipedia".

Big time. OTOH, lots of forks are better than none!

> Again, these are all questions that cyberlaw experts should be
> consulted on. We are currently evaluating several candidates for the
> role of WMF Legal Coordinator, and the question of risk management
> certainly makes for a nice long term project.

In the meantime, we need lots of good dumps, preferably available on
torrents, and everyone who can afford half a terabyte of cheap disk to
keep it there. The work the projects have done is the first thing, the
WMF and its trademarks are second.

- d.