[Foundation-l] what do we do in the event the Foundation fails? - Re: Pol...

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Wed Apr 18 22:07:35 UTC 2007

Such an agreement woudl require IRS approval, something it is not likely to
receive.

In a message dated 4/18/2007 6:06:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
erik at wikimedia.org writes:

IANAL,  but since it would be a very limited agreement ("In the event
of WMF being  unable to continue operations for a period of 4 weeks,
organization X is  given permission to .." - use the brand, user
account data, etc.) I don't  see why not. It would be not fundamentally
different from a trademark use  agreement.

If we want to reach an agreement like this with a chapter,  we should
carefully consider the impact of different jurisdictions on  the
projects, though. EU is a mess of jurisdictions, and the Germans  seem
to be quite litigious, for  example.