[Foundation-l] what do we do in the event the Foundation fails? - Re: Policy governance ends

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 21:45:47 UTC 2007

On 4/18/07, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Perhaps it would make sense for the organization to have an open
> bidding process where other non-profits can apply to be the
> "designated successor organization". The DSO would have to be written
> into the privacy policy as regards transfer of private data, and
> perhaps should also be given a certain amount of seed funding that it
> can only access in the event that WMF ceases to serve Wikimedia
> project content. Naturally, the DSO would have to make local backups
> of all data in regular intervals.

Errrrr... DSO? Right.

OK, (aliens came in) Foundation is out. How about we start looking in
our own backyard?
There are eight chapters to this day, going on 10 to 12 in the next
few months, in 8 (10 to 12) countries of the world.

Tis gonna take a lot of resources to put down every Wikimedia
organisation one.after.the.other.

And this is why we gotta make sure that chapters grow...and make sure
the (aliens) don't get the Foundation. This is where our resources and
brainstorming should go to, I think Florence said it, pretty clearly
too. Sustainability, sustainability, sustainability. (or was it
sustainability?)

Delphine

--
~notafish