[Foundation-l] Blogs vs. Wikis

Yann Forget yann at forget-me.net
Mon Apr 16 17:16:38 UTC 2007

geni wrote:
> On 4/16/07, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>> Photography in the 1860s was a much more elaborate process than it is
>> today.  It required considerably greater skill than simply putting the
>> etching in a machine and pushing a button.
>>
>> Ec
>
> The problem with that line of argument is that it accept the "sweat of
> the brow" in determining the copyright status of the work. This was
> exactly the line of argument that the judges in Bridgeman Art Library
> v. Corel Corp. rejected in finding the works PD (their argument again
> the Graves' Case was that the relevant law had changed).
>
> Not all modern scans consist of simply pressing a button.

For most scans, it is, and for some it is not even that.
There are now scanning machines which *turn the pages* of the book, so
there is no human intervention in the process.

Anyway I fail to see where is the creative process in the scanning of
millions of books by National Libraries or Google and the like. There is
certainly a general important financial investment, but divided by unit
scanned, there is simply no time nor budget for a creative process.

Regards,

Yann