[Foundation-l] Resolution:Licensing policy and the projects' autonomy

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Sun Apr 15 21:20:03 UTC 2007

On 4/15/07, Kjetil Ree <kjetil_r at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I personally find such arguments
> puzzling, as it seems pretty clear to me that the
> resolution is binding, and that the board indeed can
> decide that we aren't allowed to use NC- and ND
> licenses.

Specifically, the licensing policy means that the "NC" or "ND" status
of an image simply does not matter; if the image is not freely
licensed (PD, CC-BY, BY-SA, FDL, GPL, etc.), then it may only be used
if no freely licensed replacement can realistically be found & it
satisfies any other criteria set by a project-local Exemption Doctrine
Policy.

--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic