[Foundation-l] Adminship tools on Commons

Maria Fanucchi marialadouce at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 00:03:16 UTC 2007

I don't think anyone is having problems communicating, Darko. I think the
problem is in the understanding - in this case, of what is required of
someone who wants to become a sysop, either on Commons or on any of the
other Wikimedia projects.
A snip from Editor At Large's message (well, one of them, anyway):
"While an admin may be greatly admired, trusted, loved, etc. on
another-language project it doesn't mean they will have the knowledge that
Commons requires for dealing with our particular issues."
This goes for all Wikimedia projects, not just Commons.

Admins are more comfortable in "their" project(s) because they know its ins
and outs, its dynamic, its conflicts, weaknesses and strengths. Yoni may be
a wonderful admin on he:wp, but he really doesn't know very much at all
about Commons, as he himself stated in his second RfA : "I would also like
some informtaion on the translation process." That comment itself is enough
for me to oppose his becoming an admin. You must really involve yourself in
the community before asking for any kind of status - admin, bureaucrat,
member of the ArbCom, etc. Otherwise, you risk making mistakes on a larger
scale than a beginner with no special status - for you would be a beginner,
but a beginner with all the buttons and privileges of an admin.
Have I been clear enough? I'm not very good at resuming my thoughts. I tend
to ramble quite a bit...

--Maria Fanucchi
User:Arria Belli