[Foundation-l] models for adminship/wiki leadership

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 09:29:47 UTC 2007

Great minds think alike...

Just this week I started to fill in profiles for different Wikipedia
communities, as part of our ongoing effort on the WikipediaWeekly
podcast to identify and discuss interesting practices in different
Wikipedias. (Shameless plug: www.wikipediaweekly.com) For example,
some interesting sample tidbits:

* Portugeuse Wikipedia, barnstars are not simply given out. They are
voted on by the community.
* German Wikipedia, there is a dedicated mailing list for
administrators. Current event articles are discouraged and usually
quickly deleted.
* Chinese Wikipedia, there is a need to map between two writing
systems - simplified and traditional
* Azerbaijani Wikipedia, there is a need for mapping among *three*
writing systems - Latin, Cyrillic and Arabic script

So the meta pages are just a start, and address some questions like
Delphine had:
What language features are challening?
What would surprise the outside reader about the community?
What are some unique practices/characteristics?

Please feel free to add and start new ones. Some samples:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/German_Wikipedia
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Wikipedia
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Arabic_Wikipedia

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedia_history