[Foundation-l] Version 0.5 CD *finally* released

Emmanuel Engelhart emmanuel at engelhart.org
Sun Apr 8 17:29:06 UTC 2007

2007/4/8, Mathias Schindler <mathias.schindler at gmail.com>:
> I downloaded the iso image and had a few minutes to play with it.
> Congratulations and thank you for doing this work.

Thanks

> Here is a short list of my observations (this may overlap with other
> emails in this thread).
>
> The software is, as far as I can see, a modified mozilla rendering
> engine with another skin that does display pre-rendered articles from
> the CD-ROM. 1964 moderatly long articles take about 112 MB of size
> (without images, without search index).

That is true.

> There are no wikilinks present (despite its lack of use on such a selection)

Hmm... you mean interwiki links ?

> the search engine works fine, as far as I can tell.

Thx to Linterweb, which has coded this search engine.

> I am not sure if the current solution can be considerered license
> compliant with the GFDL.

It is true that a few problem stay open... but we do our best to be
fully GFDL compliant for the next release.

http://www.kiwix.org

> the current skin consumes quite a lot of space currently. It also
> suggests that this is "the" wikipedia. In the future, it might become
> a good offline version of it, until then, it may be confusing to
> people as long it is just a very thin selection (...albeit of some of
> the finest articles from en.wp).

It is true that this selection is very/too small, this problem will be
always less important with the next release.

Best regards

Kelson