[Foundation-l] Version 0.5 CD *finally* released

Mathias Schindler mathias.schindler at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 16:12:30 UTC 2007

On 4/7/07, Titoxd at Wikimedia <titoxd.wikimedia at gmail.com> wrote:

> As part of the Version 1.0 Editorial Team, I hope that you will enjoy and use our work, and we hope to provide you with more news of this kind soon.

Hi,

I downloaded the iso image and had a few minutes to play with it.
Congratulations and thank you for doing this work.

Here is a short list of my observations (this may overlap with other
emails in this thread).

The software is, as far as I can see, a modified mozilla rendering
engine with another skin that does display pre-rendered articles from
the CD-ROM. 1964 moderatly long articles take about 112 MB of size
(without images, without search index).

There are no wikilinks present (despite its lack of use on such a selection)

the search engine works fine, as far as I can tell.

I am not sure if the current solution can be considerered license
compliant with the GFDL.

I was unable to find the source code for the kiwix software somewhere.

the current skin consumes quite a lot of space currently. It also
suggests that this is "the" wikipedia. In the future, it might become
a good offline version of it, until then, it may be confusing to
people as long it is just a very thin selection (...albeit of some of
the finest articles from en.wp).

Greetings,
Mathias