[Foundation-l] Language Review Committee

Robert Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Tue Apr 3 20:00:16 UTC 2007

Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> This thread has gone on for some time with very little constructive
> suggestions, and lots of accusations flying back and forth.
> I am not certain I understand all the objections.
>
> The requirement that people starting new Wiki's actually BE NATIVE
> SPEAKERS OF THE LANGUAGE AS A
> FIRST OR SECOND LANGUAGE AND ACTUALLY BE ABLE TO SPEAK OR WRITE IT and
> that a MEDIAWIKI
> MESSAGES FILE be created is very reasonable and a great barrier to entry
> to keep out those who are not competent with a
> target language.  It seems those complaining about it the most are folks
> who may not be fluent enough to be able to complete
> a Messages File for MediaWiki.
>
> Just because people have a few college classes in "outer frabanian" or
> some other obscure languages does not warrant the foundation
> going through the expense and time of setting up a wiki for a group of
> folks who A) are not part of the culture the language
> is concerned with B) don't speak it or are immersed in it well enough to
> understand the underlying cultural impacts.
>
> The whole idea is to promote other languages to a target audience of
> speakers, not to create "busy projects" for folks with nothing
> better to do with their time who are marginally interested in a
> particular language.
>
> Jeff

I disagree that native speakers of a language are necessarily a
mandatory requirement here, but fluency in the language certainly ought
to be a major component for those expressing a desire to support the
language.  Some languages I would have note with very strong non-native
support would include Latin and Esperanto.  I find the articles in the
Latin Wikipedia (and Wikibooks!) to be facinating and wonderfully
imaginative.  Not just made up stuff, but written with a unique flair
and style that gives a sometimes refreshing take to what I read in
English Wikipedia.  And many of these articles are of an incredibly high
scholarship quality as well.  It takes a particularly skillful vandal to
do vandalism in Latin.

If non-native support is to be given to a particular language, some very
high standards ought to apply that perhaps would have to exceed a
similar effort by native speakers.  I think that is reasonable.  Not to
rehash the issue again, but the Klingon-language Wikipedia did suffer
from a lack of fluent individuals who really understood the language
beyond just a few choice curses and fan-speak at Trek conventions.
Perhaps that language could be revisited again in the future, but the
literacy of individuals speaking this particular language (and other
constructed languages) would have to be noticeably higher.

I would like to see support for those languages that may have a huge
potential for growth in the future, or for which a large number of
native speakers want to get involved with even if they don't necessarily
have technical skills like manipulating a configuration file.  This is
asking quite a bit for people who can't read English (or a major
European language) to even understand what it is they are supposed to do
or where to get that help.

One project I like to pick on quite a bit when new projects are talked
about is the IsiZulu language Wikibooks.  It currently has only one
page, written in English.  IsiZulu Wikipedia has only 190 pages
written.  Yet it is an "official" language of South Africa and
recognized for official proceedings like judicial hearings in some
provinces, and has over 10 million native speakers.  Potentially the
growth of the IsiZulu Wikibooks could be huge even if at the moment it
is a project that needs to be ignored.  In this case, if somebody was
able to actually take a college course or two on the language, it would
be helpful to developing this project even if it were just a raw
academic exercise, as native support at some time in the future could
build upon the efforts of these non-native contributors.

I would have to agree that native speakers ought to be given some
consideration, particularly at the early stages of a project.  And
respect for the culture of those native speakers should also be given a
very high priority.  But as mandatory requirements for creation and
participation I have to respectfully disagree.

-- Robert Horning