[Foundation-l] A successful request not yet fulfilled

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 2 20:29:59 UTC 2007

http://wikisource.org/wiki/Wikisource:Scriptorium#Wikisource:Language_domain_requests_versus_m:Meta:Language_proposal_policyto
> move the *requests* for new Wikisources to the
> Meta-Wiki, due to the
> current delay to open any new wikis using a simple
> vote. I'm dejected to see
> someone requesting to open a new wiki since the July
> 2006 and up today
> voting on it [1], awainting to start to work on a
> specific wiki.
>
> [1]

Due to past conversations I have had with people
involved with incubator, I read the comment about
"merging processes" differently than you did.  Perhaps
I am mistaken, and that is not what was meant in this
case.

However there are people who have been clear with me
that they think  [[:oldwikisource:]] should be
completely merged into [[:incubator:]] in the long
term.  Personally I don't like to see the process of
starting new Wikisources taken over, because outside
people simply fail to appreciate the reality of
wikiSOURCE, where the content already exists in
tangible form (with corresponding dialects and
orthographies already pre-determined for each edition
of a text).  Processing requests at meta has led to
people being encouraged to start a new wikisource for
a variation of a language without ever trying to work
in the existing wiki (or even talking to them). [1]
The people I have spoken to from incubator also seem
unable to see the intrinsic differences between a
wikisource and a wikipedia.  From what I can see they
are planning a one-size fits all process, with no
differences in handling based on projects.  Despite
the fact that there are strong arguments for having
one Wikisource where there are several Wikipedias with
related languages.  If plans have changed, or I am
simply mistaken, please correct me.

[1]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Requests_for_new_languages/Ancient&diff=prev&oldid=360204

The full page seems to have been lost on meta, so I
linked one of my contributioins there

Birgitte SB