[Foundation-l] [Mediawiki-i18n] MediaWiki i18n "call to arms"

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 08:10:25 UTC 2007

Hoi,
What Rob describes is correct but sadly he misses the point of the dispute.
Indeed there are people working on internationalisation and I will be the
first to acknowledge that Nikerabbit does a lot of great work. I singled him
out when I mentioned that because of him there is currently support for
Marathi and Lingala in MediaWiki.

The issue is that people should be able to start the localisation in the
Incubator. For that to be possible someone has to create the relevant
message files in the Incubator. When a new project is created such a file
needs to be created anyway. When a sufficient number of messages are
translated, the patch for MediaWiki has to be dealt with no doubt along the
lines Rob mentioned.

For the Kabyle language work on the localisation has started. When one of
the developers decides that sufficient messages have been translated in the
BetaWiki to perform what Rob describes, then they can create the Kabyle
wikipedia. with the blessing of the language committee.

Thanks,
   GerardM

Betawiki's Kabyle messages:
http://nike.users.idler.fi/betawiki/Toiminnot:Translate?x=1&msgclass=core&sort=normal&uselang=kab