[Foundation-l] Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

Gatto Nero gattonero at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 19:30:08 UTC 2006

2006/9/29, Gianluigi Gamba <gigamb at tin.it>:
> Gatto Nero, I understand your disappointment, but
>
> * disappointing 7 teams out of 8 was unavoidable;
> * the jury decided legitimately taking into account all the available
> information they had - they have the right and the duty to consider
> geo-political strategies for better achieving the goals of the Foundation.
> And I might be wrong, bringing access to the free knowledge where such free
> knowledge is somehow obstacled is one of them.
>
> suspicious innuendos about how the decision has been taken aren't of any
> help for anyone.

Oh Paginazero, per favore: la giuria ha deciso legittimamente?
Dear Paginazero, this politically-correctness is starting to disgust me.
I really am not so able to lie. My lie-ability level is really low, I
can't stand lies over lies. I'm sorry.

Should we deny that Taipei has been shortlisted with no secure
sponsorship at all?
(Just read what their bid said about sponsor at the time of the
shortlisting decision:
"The bidding team has contacted several potential sponsors. Some of
them have shown great interest in sponsoring Wikimania and covering
the core expenses in total on venue, accommodation, and catering. If
Taipei is selected as the host city for Wikimania 2007, the detailed
sponsorship arrangement will be finalized. According to our
conservative estimation, local sponsorship will be no less than
NT$1,500,000 (US$45,600+)."
http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikimania_2007/Taipei&oldid=435116#Local_sponsorship_opportunities
)
Why then include Taipei and exclude the other? On which basis?

Should we deny that a bid has been choosen that copied even the idea
of a logo from the Torino's bid? Even.

Should we deny that sj said Taipei was chosen 'cause "in the end they
had the most surplus sponsorship, in fact"?

Should we deny that this decision caused a rift and quite a fight
between the components of the jury?

Who all this denying should be of any help?
The community, not even heard about what they thought about all this
bid (and I talked with someone, lot of them preferred Torino, others -
minus, but my memory could by fallacious - Alexandria, others - more
minus - London)?
Jimbo, or other WMF members?
Or sj, maybe?

I prefer not to lie, and not to deny. I think is more useful find WHY
and HOW all this could have been happened.
And that's what I'd like to be done, more than talking about "maybe
something in Torino in 2008, but wait - in 2008 there's Australia
so... whatever, bye Turin, welcome Sidney".

Gatto Nero

(I started working on wiki full of idealistic thoughts of
collaboration, correctness, and of working for a bigger aim. I'm
really sick at seeing how much economic interests and politic there is
here. Really sick.)