[Foundation-l] Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 29 12:07:08 UTC 2006

--- oscar <oscar.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/29/06, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net>
> wrote:
>
> > I don't think that it helps the transparency of
> the process when someone
> > like Jimbo begins by supporting a bid before the
> bidding has seriously
> > started.
>

> this is not the point, jimbo imho raises 3 questions
> which we need to
> address.
>
> (quoting my email:)
> *how can we make such fortunate results not
> disappear down the drain?

This is a good question and others have suggested
trying to convert the Turin bid a European conference
if not an Italian one.

> *would the torino-sponsors be willing to do the same
> for 2008?

That is a bad question.  How can we give any opinion
on 2008 when we have not seen any of the final
submissions.  2008 should be a wide open race except
for a preference *against* Asia.  But if an Asian bid
is three times as better as anything else that
preference could be overcome.  I think these sort of
comments are what led to all the hard feelings in the
first place.  Wikimanina 2008 could be anywhere.  If
you want it compete hard, but don't raise false hopes
and think of a backup plan of a more local use for the
work from the beginning.  I really would like to see
everyone stop making preferential comments about
future Wikimania's, especially people involved enough
in WMF that they could possibly end up on some future
jury.

> *how long can we afford to wait with this without
> spoiling the opportunity?

This is a good question in refference to a European or
I talian meetup and out of line regarding WM2008,  The
rules for submissions for 2008 bids are already
public.  The only goal of the jury is should be
choosing the best bid. Period.

Birgitte SB