[Foundation-l] Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 06:58:24 UTC 2006

Hoi,
When people want Wikimania happening in 2007 in their town and they do their
best to achieve this, they do this on the basis of competition. They
compete. They either win or lose as there is only one place where Wikimania
will happen. This is the way of things, considering things to be different
is madness.

In Taipei we will have a completely different event from the event in
Frankfurt and Boston. Each time we learned new things and the resulting
offers for hosting were different as a consequence. Not allowing for this by
saying in advance that Turin does not have to do "the work" again is imho
stupid. In order for Turin to be a competitor next year, they have to
analyse what went wrong; was it their offer, their presentation sheer bad
luck?

Trying for Wikimania is without guarantees, all competing cities had a
credible offer. Only one could be chosen. Picking out Turin for next year is
bad business, it is an insult to the other cities that made an offer and it
is a message to other cities that they should not bother for 2008 because it
is likely to be Turin.

Turin may compete again, sure, but it has to compete on an equal footing. If
Almere 2008 is to be a credible option, there cannot be a prefered city for
2008. It is morally wrong.

Thanks,
    GerardM

NB Still living in Almere