[Foundation-l] Proposal re: sep11.wikipedia.org

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Wed Sep 27 01:43:34 UTC 2006

On 9/24/06, Erik Moeller <eloquence at gmail.com> wrote:
> sep11.wikipedia.org is currently in read-only mode. I suggest the
> following course of action:
>
> 1) That the wiki be opened again for a period of 4 weeks.
>
> 2) That an open message is to be sent out to ask for clean-up of the
> wiki -- remove irrelevant content, possible lingering spam, etc.
>
> 3) That, after the cleanup is complete, the wiki is exported as a
> static HTML dump and hosted by a volunteer external to the Wikimedia
> Foundation under its own domain name. No reference should be made to
> it from then on as an official Wikimedia project. It might be possible
> to arrange advance renumeration for the domain name cost and hosting.
>
> Does this sound like a sensible course of action?

I'd prefer that the wiki be kept, but assuming a rough majority of
people disagree with me, and feel that the wiki is outside the scope
of the foundation (which apparently is true), this seems like a
reasonable exit strategy, with one exception.

I don't think the export should be a static HTML dump.  The full
history should be exported, as well.  The details of how things were
edited and created is as much an important part of Internet history as
the resulting work, and Internet Archive isn't granular enough for
this.  At the very least one final full-history dump should be made
and put up to download for a while.  Really this should be done
*before* any administrative pages are deleted.

One thing that unfortunately will probably be lost is any articles
that have been deleted.  Y'all won't agree to send me a copy of them
before totally destroying them, will you?

Anthony