[Foundation-l] Proposal re: sep11.wikipedia.org

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Tue Sep 26 05:50:25 UTC 2006

On 9/25/06, Robert Scott Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:
> BTW, offers have been made in the past to privately host this content
> (the sep11.wikipedia) but those offers are all more than a year old and
> circumstances have indeed changed.  I'm not exactly sure where to go
> with it, but closing it down completely just doesn't seem right to me.
>  I do support the "freeze" on the database, as I think the effort to add
> substantial quantities of content has essentially run its course.

I don't think sep11.wikipedia.org falls within the mission of the WMF,
or ever did. It has been perceived, and mentioned, as a "sister
project," but really is not. Cleaning it up and moving it to a
dedicated domain name, then abandoning the relationship with the WMF
does not delete the history; to the contrary, it shows our dedication
to preserving even off-topic content of historical interset. A
volunteer has now been found and a dedicated domain name has been
registered for this purpose.

This proposed process reflects many many past discussions on the
matter and I'd like to close it relatively quickly now.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.