[Foundation-l] Accelerating chapter creation

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Tue Sep 26 11:07:07 UTC 2006

On 9/26/06, effe iets anders <effeietsanders at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it is very important that the group of people knows what they
> start with, and that they are motivated, and really see the advantages
> and want to do it themselves.

True. What I think is essential in this process is showcasing what
chapters _already_ do. This can be a way to generate genuine interest
beyond the "It would be cool" effect. For instance, Frank sent a
report about the "Wikipedia in schools" training project of the German
chapter; Michael described the Swiss Wikipedia Day; the Dutch chapter
also recently organized a conference. There was Wikipedia Academy in
Göttingen, the 5 year Wikipedia exhibit, and the digitization project
initiated by the German chapter. And so on, and so forth.

Do we have a page describing these use cases, one to two paragraphs
each, with pictures? If not, is someone willing to volunteer to
coordinate this? (CCing Elisabeth Bauer, who has done amazing work on
promotion materials.)

I agree with what TOR said regarding additional preconditions for my
proposal. I hope to have a telconf with Delphine soon to get a better
picture of the chapter situation.

I also agree with you that IRC (or real-life) meetings can be an
excellent way to have honest discussions about the future direction of
a wiki community. Effe, if you are interested in running/organizing
such meetings, can you contact me privately and we'll try to work out
the details.

--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.