[Foundation-l] Accelerating chapter creation

Tomasz Ganicz polimerek at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 10:25:17 UTC 2006

2006/9/26, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:
> On 26/09/06, effe iets anders <effeietsanders at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Not
> > because they felt that the foundation apeprently felt that every wiki
> > should have at least one chapter,
>

> I thought the reason for chapters was because tax deductibility tends
> to work in units of national borders - if UK donors could get
> deductibility for donations to the WMF in the US, I doubt anyone would
> have bothered with Wikimedia UK. Presumably I am well behind on
> current thinking.

This is one of the reasons, but there are many others. For example,
for us the main reason to create a chapter was to have a bank account
which is usefull for organising meetings. You can for example pay for
a lecture theatre or book a hotel rooms in advance. The second reason
was to have a some sort of quasi-formal representation of Wikipedia
community in Poland, with whom journalists and goverment officials may
speak.

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.poli.toya.net.pl