[Foundation-l] The Foundation is not a wiki (was Re: RfC: Key priorities for my work)

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Mon Sep 25 06:04:15 UTC 2006

Delirium wrote:
> I disagree with that.  We have a huge body of people, and we're open to
> anybody who wants to join---there's no membership criterion except
> showing up (I'm not arguing for a "minimum 20,000 edits" or something).
> Excluding people who have deliberately chosen *not* to help us with our
> mission from being on the board seems perfectly reasonable to me.

The point is, asking someone like Larry Lessig (and he is only one
example, choose someone else you admire greatly if you have something
against him) to become an active wikipedia editor as a condition of
joining the board strikes me as silly.

He has hardly "deliberately chosen *not* to help us with our mission".
There are more ways to help us with our mission than editing Wikipedia.

--Jimbo