[Foundation-l] The Foundation is not a wiki (was Re: RfC: Key priorities for my work)

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sun Sep 24 20:28:44 UTC 2006

Jimmy Wales wrote:
>> We have something like tens of thousands of Wikipedians (hundreds of
>> thousands?), so I'm skeptical that the skills we're looking for don't
>> exist anywhere in our community.
>>

> Larry Lessig is not a Wikipedian.  Mitch Kapor is a Wikipedian, but not
> very active.  There are other examples of people who are wild about our
> work who could be amazing board members, but who, because their careers
> do not involve editing Wikipedia, have not become members of our
> community.  But they have skills, contacts, connections, experiences
> that we do not have in our community.

I suppose I don't see what that has to do with anything.  Apart from a
very small number of people, *none* of us have careers that involve
editing Wikipedia.  The entire project is build on the premise that
people will help create a free encyclopedia without being paid to do
so.  Perhaps some people who don't want to participate in that still
like the outcome---if someone else will do the work of making it come
about---but that's a rather different level of commitment compared to
being so "wild about our work" as to be willing to actually dedicate
volunteer time to making it happen.

> Remember, we are considering a much-expanded board.  I think a healthy
> board should include a diversity of people, *including* some who are
> *deliberately* chosen to be from outside our community, to help us avoid
> groupthink and "not invented here".

I disagree with that.  We have a huge body of people, and we're open to
anybody who wants to join---there's no membership criterion except
showing up (I'm not arguing for a "minimum 20,000 edits" or something).
Excluding people who have deliberately chosen *not* to help us with our
mission from being on the board seems perfectly reasonable to me.

-Mark