[Foundation-l] RfC: Key priorities for my work

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Sun Sep 24 19:34:24 UTC 2006

On 9/24/06, Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> - Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >  > Ensure the tech committee have the authority to buy necessary hardware.
> >
> > Since Brad has arrived, this is working pretty well. The biggest
> > priority is now to ensure that we have the financial means.
> >
> > Fundraising drive, anyone ?
>
> The FundCom is still being set up. We have already had two meetings and will soon have a third. So
> far we are still going over organizational and procedural issues. But before we have a fundraiser
> we should have a budget but at least need a report on the current financial situation so we can
> create a fundraising plan that will meet and exceed our revenue needs.
>
> A budget will be passed at the retreat, no? How about a financial report? Who is working on this
> stuff now that I'm no longer CFO? It was my understanding that a staff person was hired to do
> this. If not, then the responsibility reverts to the board.

I'd like to echo this.  I've heard on this list that there is half a
million sitting in Wikimedia's bank account. (1)  There seems to be
plenty of money for basic operating costs.  This is not to say that
fundraising is unnecessary, but before the fundraising is done the
public should have up to date financial reports and a budget which
shows what the money is needed for.  Brad has stated that these
financial reports are forthcoming and that one the audited reports are
certified and published Wikimedia will resume publication of
financials on what he anticipates will be a monthly basis. (2)

The fundraising committee still has a lot of preparation it can do in
the mean time, and I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize for
missing the last fundraising committee meeting.  My son was born
September 17, 2006, and during the meeting I was either still in the
hospital or had just gotten out.

I'm going to think a little more before responding to Erik's RfC, but
for now I will say that financial reports are in my top 2 list of
things which are immediate priorities for the board.  This is not to
say the board needs to personally produce the financials, but they
need to make sure that it gets done.

(1) An email from Anthere entitled "Isn't it getting to be time...",
May 25, 2006
(2) An email from Brad entitled "Professional bookkeeping in the
office", August 28, 2006