[Foundation-l] Congrats to Erik, and my own response to his RfC

Erik Zachte erikzachte at infodisiac.com
Sun Sep 24 16:58:16 UTC 2006

Jimmy to Erik Moller
> I hope that
> you will support me in efforts to quickly expand the board to include
> not only more people from the community, but also people who can help us
> in other ways with professional expertise and/or public credibility.
> Obviously, this is to be a hot topic for the October board retreat, and
> quite possibly sooner.

Jimmy shouldn't that be a question to the community at large instead of to
Erik Moller in particular?
The community has a pretty good track record in choosing able and committed
board members, 3 out of 3 so far, an unmatched achievement.
Not just producing noise, or in your words, too often "blaming or yelling
when something goes wrong".

So I hope your congrats extend to the community as well.

You talk about possibly expanding the board even before the October retreat,
or am I misreading your statement, or hint?

I would hope the October retreat is at least partially in order to add depth
to these discussions in extensive dialog with the community and making
sensible proposals for the community to decide on. Trusting the community to
have the final say in matters of this importance is crucial to the long term
credibility of the project.

I'm not saying all new board members should be community members. I'm
saying: let the comunity vote on the size of the board, and its
constituents. Your charisma will ensure that external candidates that you
propose will receive ample attention. External candidates who are eager to
participate in our mission (willing is not enough) will welcome public
debate, even about their achievements and supposedly added value.

Erik Zachte