[Foundation-l] Candidate statements

habj sweetadelaide at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 23:00:51 UTC 2006

2006/9/23, Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com>:

> One another aspect. Most of candidates show no appreciation for
> translators. I know less than five people went to their talks and
> thanked them. I am sure most of translators don't demand such, but as
> one of coordinators I have been very much embarassed with this lack of
> appreciation and respect for others by some editors.

I am not sure if the translators need appreciation from the candidates. I
think it would be more appreciated if more of them made their texts more
easy to translate. Things to avoid are things like puns: "Bored? Board
Questions for Improv." OK of course I just skipped the pun, but he risked
getting it translated to something strange in a couple of languages. So do
the people who write "endowment" rather than "finansial reserve" or
something similar (if I understood that term correct in context - I am still
not 100% sure that I did. I believe I can translate texts on proteins or
gene cloning on a professional level, but I know nothing about financial and
business vocabulary.) To write a good essay one would probably use the term
one feels is best in context, and use a subclause or so to expand on it;
that way you don't loose those who do neither know the complicated word nor
look it up in the dictionary but you don't sound like a silly person who
don't know the terminology. Trying to reduce the word count does not help
here, of course.

/habj