[Foundation-l] Commons request for a delinker tool running in every wiki

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 18:53:17 UTC 2006

Super.

In this summer "omg red link!!" case happened on the Foundation wiki
again about Commons logo. It is wonderful we are deliver from the need
of manual check and spend the time for more creative works. I fully
support this proposal of Arnomane.

One question: how does it works on the closed (private) wiki? Or
partly access restricted one(s), z.B. wikimania2005? (You need
registration to give a look to Internal namespace, or to pages not
listed on the whitelist)

Currently those wikis are not covered? Just curious.

On 9/23/06, Daniel Arnold <arnomane at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am Samstag, 23. September 2006 00:13 schrieb Erik Moeller:

> Given the fact that ensuring of free content policies is one of the *key
> missions* of the Wikimedia Foundation and CommonsDelinker is something that
> clearly adresses this topic (via a much more efficient copyvio deletion with
> less negative side effects for local wikis at the same time) I think it is
> appropriate calling for a support note.
>
> And lets not forget: This tool will touch Foundation affairs too: like Meta
> wiki, Wikimania wikis, Foundation wiki, although the probability that this
> tool will need to remove something there is much lower than in other wikis
> but not zero.
>
> By the way: The Foundation wikis need a CommonsTicker. Why? Well you all
> remember some troubles with random people overwriting logos and such. We
> Commons admins simply don't have the time watching over every file alone.
> CommonsTicker would enable you being alerted quickly on overwrite, suggested
> deletion and so forth of any logo, image, media file that is important to the
> Foundation directly. You will be surprised how much changes in Commons will
> affect Foundation wikis directly.  Many other Wikimedia wikis can confirm
> this because they got used to CommonsTicker.
>
> Wouldn't it be cool to be informed in advance that something needs your
> attention? It would save us all a lot of frustration:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Duesentrieb/CommonsTicker
>
> Cheers, Arnomane

Kizu Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org