[Foundation-l] Commons request for a delinker tool running in every wiki

Daniel Arnold arnomane at gmx.de
Sat Sep 23 13:14:49 UTC 2006

Am Samstag, 23. September 2006 00:13 schrieb Erik Moeller:

> I don't think the WMF needs to get legally involved in this. Would it
> be reasonable to just run the bot (since it shouldn't have a bot flag
> anyway) and ask communities to block it if they find it unreasonable?

The bot in itself is not a legal issue. We just call for support as this is
something which affects all Wikimedia wikis and is thus of general
importance. And of course it's going to be much more easier if the Foundation
supports this especially given the fact that we all know how wired people can
react sometimes.

Given the fact that ensuring of free content policies is one of the *key
missions* of the Wikimedia Foundation and CommonsDelinker is something that
clearly adresses this topic (via a much more efficient copyvio deletion with
less negative side effects for local wikis at the same time) I think it is
appropriate calling for a support note.

And lets not forget: This tool will touch Foundation affairs too: like Meta
wiki, Wikimania wikis, Foundation wiki, although the probability that this
tool will need to remove something there is much lower than in other wikis
but not zero.

By the way: The Foundation wikis need a CommonsTicker. Why? Well you all
remember some troubles with random people overwriting logos and such. We
Commons admins simply don't have the time watching over every file alone.
CommonsTicker would enable you being alerted quickly on overwrite, suggested
deletion and so forth of any logo, image, media file that is important to the
Foundation directly. You will be surprised how much changes in Commons will
affect Foundation wikis directly.  Many other Wikimedia wikis can confirm
this because they got used to CommonsTicker.

Wouldn't it be cool to be informed in advance that something needs your
attention? It would save us all a lot of frustration:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Duesentrieb/CommonsTicker

Cheers, Arnomane