[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Wikimedia Board Elections

oscar oscar.wiki at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 17:13:07 UTC 2006

On 9/21/06, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:

> On 9/21/06, oscar <oscar.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> > it is my conviction that for the future, more than "just" translations
> for
> > elections (i take them as an example of a bigger thing to consider here)
> are
> > mandatory to evercome this *gap in culture*. (a point of attention for
> the
> > board retreat imho)
> >
> > oscar
>
> A reasonable conclusion.  In trying to think of a solution, I found
> myself searching for a precedent of a truly international/global
> direct election.  I couldn't think of any.  Can anyone else?
>
> Becoming a truly global organization, where the representatives
> represent the entire membership and not just their "constituents", is
> going to be a really big challenge.  What do you (and anyone else for
> that matter) think can be done to accomplish it?

on my meta talk page i [
http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk%3AOscar&diff=437999&oldid=437759addressed
some of these questions today]. in this regard i like to
especially point out the passage at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Oscar#answers , from which i quote
"*special attention to the communication, starting through key persons,
especially with all non-english projects and languages, thus starting a
process of bridging worldwide cultural differences (if we don't succeed in
this who will???). creation of a council-level, intermediate between board
and projects."**

*i believe this is just the beginning of a process of analysis, and
developing of strategies, together, to overcome this. a solution must grow
gradually, and cannot be one person's "magical idea" imho: it needs close
collaboration, worldwide. many more comparative statistics may be mandatory.
personally i am reading up on the subject as well.
**
oscar*
*