[Foundation-l] Verifiability: Constitution?

Christoph Seydl Christoph.Seydl at students.jku.at
Sun Sep 17 11:32:55 UTC 2006

I assume that Jimbo means that only material that is verifiable with
reference to reliable, published sources should be used. And if we
remove all unsourced statements, Wikipedia will shrink and grow less
fast. However, there are reliable sources even for the most simple
objects. According to Norstedts svenska ordbok och uppslagsbok, a bucket
is a "cylindrical vessel with a carrying handle for the transport of
liquids sand or the like".

As Jimbo said, several editors will stop contributing, if all material
has to be sourced. At the same time, the motivation to provide sources
will increase, whereas there is almost no motivation to source
statements, if they will not be removed.

No matter how a codification of verifiability will look like, there
should be at least a statement on verifiability at Foundation Issues in
my opinion. There are several options how verifiability can be defined:
- Everything must be sourced, what Jimbo seems to prefer.
- Only critical material (e. g. negative information about living
  persons, disputed issues, hard facts, quotes,...) must be sourced.
  Statements on everyday objects (cf. bucket example) may not be
  sourced.
- Source what you like.
- Abolish sourcing at all.

Chris