[Foundation-l] Citizendium, a new venture, will "fork" off from online encyclopedia Wikipedia

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sat Sep 16 22:22:15 UTC 2006

Brion Vibber wrote:

>>I don't believe Citizendium will be able to take over Wikipedia, but you
>>never know - it would definitely be much better to have scientists work
>>on Wikipedia.
>>

>It's not about "taking over", but about taking useful resources and doing
>additional things with them. We of course celebrate and applaud any serious
>undertaking to make use of Wikipedia content.

I agree with that (I'm a big proponent of the idea that producing free
content is Wikipedia's main reason for existing), but forking
open-content projects can have both positive and negative effects.  The
best case is where a project splits into two projects that are doing
mostly orthogonal things---serving different needs from a common
starting point.  The worst case is where a project splits into two
projects that are essentially duplicates of each other due to leadership
conflicts (e.g. the emacs/xemacs fiasco).

I'm not sure Citizendium's goals and methods are different enough from
Wikipedia's to make a fork a good thing for free content in general.  I
think the best outcome would be to see them as a prod to Wikipedia to
adopt some of their better methods (if we identify any as such) and
manage to keep the main content-production centralized in the Wikipedia
projects.  From that perspective the main good that could come out of it
is a laboratory of ideas; the worst would be basically two parallel
encyclopedia projects largely doing the same thing with added overhead
from having to constantly copy stuff back and forth and keep efforts
synchronized---or worse, end up with unsynchronized but more or less
equivalent efforts, rather than some sort of sum of the parts.

-Mark