[Foundation-l] Citizendium, a new venture, will "fork" off from online encyclopedia Wikipedia

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sat Sep 16 19:42:41 UTC 2006

Sabine Cretella wrote:
> Does it sound strange to you that at the beginning of this year I said
> to a friend of mine that my feeling told me that someone will take over
> the contents of Wikipedia and create a separate project.

That's entirely normal in the course of events, and only one of many such
projects; Wikipedia has an open-content license precisely to allow these sorts
of projects.

> I don't believe Citizendium will be able to take over Wikipedia, but you
> never know - it would definitely be much better to have scientists work
> on Wikipedia.

It's not about "taking over", but about taking useful resources and doing
additional things with them. We of course celebrate and applaud any serious
undertaking to make use of Wikipedia content.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com / brion @ wikimedia.org)