[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Wikimedia Board Elections

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sat Sep 16 07:26:35 UTC 2006

Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> Where you assume that Oscar needs introduction because of him being
> little known in the English Wikipedia, the same is true for
> Mindspillage. She is not well known outside of the English Wikipedia.
> You did both Oscar and Mindspillage a disservice by not properly
> introducing either.

Yes!  Well, I hope that others can do a better job than I can. :)

> Where you state that some are "entirely unacceptable", you forget that
> democracy is about the electorate choosing it's champions.

Not at all.  I meant that some of the candidates are entirely
unacceptable _from the point of view of the active Wikimedia community_.

> When a person is to be chosen for the board of the Wikimedia Foundation,
> it has been said that it is extremely important that the notion of the
> WMF being about the English Wikipedia is a false notion. I am afraid
> that you damaged Mindspillage by portraying her as an English Wikipedia
> person. I think all candidates that focus on Wikipedia in their
> statements disqualify themselves as the Wikimedia Foundation is NOT
> about Wikipedia.

No, I did not mean to imply that.  She is very very famous in the
English Wikipedia, but she is much more than that.  I do not think it
should count against her that she is an English Wikipedian. :)

--Jimbo