[Foundation-l] Clickable images

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 01:23:43 UTC 2006

On 9/9/06, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> Thank you for selective snipping, in this way a solution to your long
> argument was removed. To recapitulate, we can have options for under the
> left mouse click. Think solutions please.

If you make clicking on the image do the expected thing for navigation
uses, then you obscure the attribution.  Hiding the attribution behind
an abnormal procedure would be a failure to provide attribution,
hiding the navigational use behind an abnormal procedure would fail to
aid navigation.  I did address this directly in my reply.

Further, it would be quite infuriating and not at all user friendly
for Wikipedia to further override the browsers normal behavior.
(making right click, or modifier-click (recall not all computers have
two mouse buttons) do something other than bring up the browsers
menu)...  Not to mention the accessibility problems, and browser
compatibility issues.

Some time back (http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2006-May/035663.html)
I'd proposed we simply create a new type of image tag such as:

[[Imagelink:Foo.jpg|100px|Foo page]]

Here is an example of what such a tag would look like:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Gmaxwell/example

No one seemed to oppose the idea, but no one implemented it either...

I believe this would be an adequate solution for the semi-navigation
images which are used on portals.

Pure navgational images are another matter. But should probably be
solved by just calling them from the site's CSS.