[Foundation-l] Clickable images

Guillaume Paumier guillom.pom at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 18:55:23 UTC 2006

On 9/9/06, effe iets anders <effeietsanders at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thank you for your reaction. I think your idea of putting the image in
> the page it points to is a good idea. But I would like to broaden the
> discussion a bit. We are now thinking about where it is used, and how
> we can talk it right. I think we should actually think about how we
> can use it in the broadest sense, so we can afterwards find out when
> we can use it. The point is that people will always come up with new
> uses of the template, and I think we should somehow state clear what
> is allowed and what not. I only know of the use in main pages, but it
> is also used broader I guess.
> It could be used for flags to link to countries, or for roads, to link
> the the article about it. (Like A1, A2 etc in
> http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amsterdam ) So what are your thoughts
> about it when you forget about the main page, and think in general?
>
> Lodewijk

Actually, it seems your example about motorways isn't an image but a
formatted text ;)

Anyway, you're right to say we should make things clear. My opinion is:
clickable images should be avoided. The general policy is the
license-information should be available by simply clicking the image.
First-time visitors are a bit surprised by this, but if we start mixing
clickable and non-clickable images (that means respectively images pointing
to an article/portal and images pointing to their description page), the
situation will soon become a huge mess. Otherwise, people don't know where
they're going to land when clicking an image.

In a nutshell: avoid clickable images.

g.

--
Guillaume Paumier