[Foundation-l] Can a wikimedia-b list be setup

Jeff V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Wed Sep 6 19:10:13 UTC 2006

Pat Gunn wrote:

Hi Pat,

I guess the real question here is defining who "we" is. I see "we" as
the whole of planet earth,
not just the current incarnation of the community. As for point 11, when
people are investing money
to see THEIR goals fulfilled, you kindof have to balance all the
concerns of the various players.
Not an easy task.

Linux Kernel development uses an unmoderated list where some very
powerful players interact
from a business world and the internet community worlds and do so very
well. IBM, Novell,
and folks from this very community (Gregory Maxwell for example) all
interact in this model and
have vritually achieved global dominion of OS development and deployment
by finding a common
ground and balancing these enormous conflux of powers.

It works because the pressure for people to act responsilbly is based on
finanacial and business concerns
and support of the various business entities and their acceptance of
technology proposals.

Jeff