[Foundation-l] Can a wikimedia-b list be setup

Pat Gunn pgunn at dachte.org
Wed Sep 6 20:06:24 UTC 2006

Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>You know, I did not want to address this on this list, but it appears I
>will have to in order
>for folks to get it.

I believe this is a poor line of reasoning for a bad idea. The
foundation has certain goals, and these are not always realised
by the community at large, nor must they all deal with the
responsibility, fine details, or the work involved in making
sure the project stays afloat. By and large, the goals of the
community and those of the foundation coincide though, helped
by the transparency and (certain amounts of) openness. I am very
concerned at your implication (in point 9) that nondisruptive
efforts to suggest that some arrangements are not acceptable to
the community should be easily overruled by the business interests
of the foundation. The "Explosive growth" you say should be our
goal is dangerous in the same way that cancer is -- it can easily
become a perversion of our hopes and structure in the name of
size. We must be careful about growth and absolutely
insistent on as much openness and inclusiveness as possible,
even when it costs us business opportunities. I am similarly very
disturbed at your point 11, which suggests that off-list lobbying
against proposed business ventures is something that we should
consider verboten or dangerous.

---
Pat Gunn
mod: csna, bmcm, bmco, cooa, cona, clpd, coom
http://dachte.org