[Foundation-l] Edits by project and country of origin

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Tue Sep 5 21:49:29 UTC 2006

Aphaia wrote:

>I talked with Indian editors why they prefered Enwiki and not so much
>Hindi, which population is very large.

Thanks for the survey, Aphaia!

I'll add my very small sample size of two Indian Wikipedians I'm friends
with,

* One major reason they edit Wikipedia is to spread Indian culture and
history, and that's most effective in English.
* Their university education is all in English, as with most prestigious
universities in India.  Therefore when editing articles on technical
subjects they have expertise in, they're most comfortable with
English---they don't even know how to say some technical things in Hindi.
* From a language-pride perspective, they don't have any interest in
Hindi, and actually some mild hostility---it's not their native
language, and English is actually preferable because it's "neutral" from
the perspective of domestic language politics.
* They do have more pride in their native languages (two different
ones), but say it's "not practical" to write encyclopedias in them---and
they know even fewer technical words in those languages than in Hindi.
Plus they're even more useless for spreading Indian culture and history,
since nobody can read them except the people who already are part of the
culture.

(Obviously the usual caveats due to exceedingly small sample size.)

-Mark