[Foundation-l] Business Related List

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 21:10:41 UTC 2006

On 05/09/06, Jeff V. Merkey <jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com> wrote:

> I appreciate your professional anbd courteous response.

I'm working more on holding my tongue, having posted a few too many
"WHAT THE F- CRACK ARE YOU ON" style posts of late ;-p

> It affects our efforts more directly since we provide the ability to
> sync and seed new communities with entire full mirrors of wikipedia
> that actually work and can resync with the Foundation.

Well, yes - mirrors and reuse are a good thing. I know there's been a
few issues with dumps. Basically, the devs' priority is keeping the
sites running, and dumps are secondary. This is way less than ideal,
but we're a top-20 website with NO MONEY and NO STAFF. Everyone else
in the top 20 has a huge technical team and an actual budget ... we
have two technical employees and still I think run under $1m a year,
which is chickenfeed for what we serve. This is not an excuse, just
stating the reason.

- d.