[Foundation-l] Business Related List

Jeff V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Tue Sep 5 20:51:53 UTC 2006

David Gerard wrote:

>I'm somewhat puzzled at the response to this thread. I appreciate Mr
>Merkey has greatly annoyed many people in the past, but I know he's
>putting in effort to work better with others now; and I'm not saying
>Assume Good Faith In The Face Of All Reason (there are many people
>whose names I never want to see in my Wikipedia email ever again) -
>but that first mail read to *me* like a Wikimedia bug report (problems
>reading data dumps), which only needs redirection to wikitech.
>
>So, um, could everyone please just take a deep breath? And if there's
>a problem with the current dumps, I'm sure the devs would rather know
>than not know, and politely directing people to the right list is a
>better response even if it was sent by Lir or Wik or Plautus Satire or
>something.
>
>(And I know I'm way guilty of blowing my top inappropriately on the
>lists of late and do apologise again and will calm down and settle
>into middle-aged suburban existence soon, I swear.)
>

>- d.

David,

I appreciate your professional anbd courteous response.

I will post bug reports to the other list in the future (if they are bug
reports). I raised this issue in the chat room several weeks ago and I just
waited and waited and never saw any action taken or fixes to the problem
and I had to make the php fixes myself for some pending
appliance shipments, so I felt like I was helping by providing a fixed
version and bringing it to the Foundations attention. They after all
are posting dumps and telling the public to use MediaWiki with them. I
felt they should be informed there are potential issues with
the whole thing working as advertised.

It affects our efforts more directly since we provide the ability to
sync and seed new communities with entire full mirrors of wikipedia
that actually work and can resync with the Foundation. I certainly did
not want to create hurt feelings and my suggestion about a
business related list was to take many of these issues into another
forum so the Foundation could manage them separately. I have been
working very hard on these projects to help the Foundation and your
assessment is very accurate and informed.

Jeff