[Foundation-l] Edits by project and country of origin

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Sep 4 17:59:09 UTC 2006

daniwo59 at aol.com wrote:

>What I find especially interesting is not the native Asutralian languages,
>which have a handful of speakers only, but the fact that in India, over 99
>percent of people prefer to edit in English than in their native languages. It
>would be interesting to see the results once native languages are included in
>the sample.

I agree.  The Indian situation is far more significant than the
Australian one.  It is understandable that there would be very little
participation from speakers of Australian Aboriginal languages because
each has such a tiny speaker base.  It is less understandable that
Indian languages with a million or more speakers have had so little
development.

When a person from India looking at Australian edits in other languages
than English presumes that we are talking about other European languages
this suggests that the influence of the Raj is still alive and well, and
that the educated people of India have bought into the idea that their
own native languages are somehow inferior.

Ec