[Foundation-l] Use of Wikimedia-Logo's in articles

Tuvic tuvic.tuvic at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 16:36:10 UTC 2006

Because of an ongoing editwar in the Dutch wiki, I have a question about the
use of the Wikimedia logo's.

Like most Wikipedia's, we have an article about Wikipedia itself (
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ). Recently, this article was the
center of an editwar.
The discussion is about the logo's:  some editors say the content of
Wikipedia is GFDL, and the logo is not, so the logo should not be in the
article.
Others think the use is allowed, because the logo's are the
Wikipedia-logo's, and if we themselve can't use them, they are just
obsolete.
Eve other just say: it's on Commons, so it's alright.

I've been looking for a policy on meta and on the foundation's site, but I
really can't find any clear and definite policy: only that they are looking
into it 'now', and that the board is talking about it.

Does anyone have a solid and conclusive answer on the question if the logo's
may be used in the articles or not. Also, is there some official policy of
the board about this, and if not, can a policy be written about this matter.

We really need solid answers on this question, to stop this kind of editwars
once and for all.

Greetings, Tuvic (nl-wiki)

(P.S. Apologies for any typo's, or for incorrect spelling or bad grammar)