[Foundation-l] How not to manage opensource project

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 2 22:07:01 UTC 2006

There is a discussion on the french wikipedia, precisely on this topic.
I invite you to have a look here :
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utilisateur:Bradipus/Chat_with_Jimbo

It is in english, translated in french (or the reverse).

One of our contributor raised the issue over what the bylaws say
"The goal of the Wikimedia foundation is to develop and maintain open
content, wiki-based projects and to provide the full contents of those
projects to the public free of charge."

And what Jimbo says
"Of course the foundation governs and manages the projects."
--Jimbo Wales 07:54, 27 August 2006 (UTC)

As far as I (as a board member) is concerned, I consider the Foundation
to be there to "support" the projects. Absolutely not to govern them.
By support, I mean "provide infrastructure", "provide legal frame", help
set up collaborations to collect/create content, help distribution of
the content created. Not govern. Not manage.

Some editors try to push us in "governing the project", and I can not
blame them. When decisions are tough to take collectively, it is quite
easy to ask a small group of people to take the responsability of making
a decision.
But imho, pretty often, this should not be the job of the Foundation.

The problem with this is that one of the board members (Jimbo) not only
is on the board, but also the foundator and for the english wikipedia
the visionary/leader guy. Quite naturally, Jimbo has a lot of influence
on how things are organised and on policies. This influence is much more
limited in non english languages. The enwikipedia is governed by Jimbo
because it accepts to be governed. But it is not governed by the board.

Seems like just "chatting" to you ? Seems not important ?

Then, give a thought to editors trying to publish a wikijunior on
internet (activity plainly allowed by our licence), to see it removed
within 24 hours after announcement on this very list.

Then, just quietly think of the future you want (before pushing the
validation button on the board vote).

Anthere