[Foundation-l] How not to manage opensource project

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 15:42:28 UTC 2006

The important take-home from this email is not so much anything it
says about open source projects, but that it was written by a project
founder (Charles Hannum) upset that they did to him what he did to
another project founder (Theo deRaadt) several years previously.
Everything else is a real problem, but that's what he really hates
about the NetBSD Foundation.

The main problem with NetBSD, in my opinion, is that it doesn't really
have a compelling story. DeRaadt's fork, OpenBSD, is obsessive about
security and cryptography; it's a small project, but that's a good
enough goal to keep people interested and working on it. Despite it
having substituted stifling project bureaucracy with deRaadt's
famously abrasive but practical personality.

Does Wikimedia have a compelling enough story to keep people here
despite the other people? Well, I'm still here ...

- d.