[Foundation-l] Proposed guidelines in our IRC channels

Sean Whitton sean at silentflame.com
Tue Oct 10 18:50:35 UTC 2006

JamesF is basically the 'uberop' for the channels; he can get network
staff to do whatever he deems necessary. Under that, organisation is
thin on the ground as JamesF delegates the jobs to high-access
chanops. This makes sense so that he can handle hostname cloaks, and
is the idea of a group contact from freenode's perspective.

I hadn't heard Jimbo's statement before now. #wikipedia can be rough,
but there are a lot of good people in it too. We can improve!

> On 10/10/06, Sean Whitton <sean at silentflame.com> wrote:
>
> > For the moment, I have no idea how enforcable/!official these
> > guidelines are going to be. I suggest that we worry about that after
> > we actually have some, because the channel operations structure is too
> > ad hoc to make assumptions on how it will work. This is just an idea,
> > something that I hope people will adopt.
>

> I understood the Foundation or Jimbo or someone had expressly disowned
> #wikipedia as the hellhole it is (but a sorta comfy hellhole all the
> same, y'know) but that the Foundation is, for Freenode purposes, the
> controlling organisation for everything else starting #wikipedia or
> #wikimedia. I could of course be dead wrong on this, but if I am I'd
> welcome correction.
>

> - d.

	—Xyrael / Sean Whitton ~ Knowledge is power, but only wisdom is liberty
		sean at silentflame.com | xyrael.net