[Foundation-l] Fundraising season launch

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Oct 10 18:00:06 UTC 2006

Sebastian Moleski wrote:

>On 10/10/06, Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>2. Concerning comments on past fundraisings, not every donors of us
>>didn't seem parts of editing community and some thought themselves not
>>parts of the community but just visitors/users. Before starting a new
>>fundraising campaign, we are better to remind whom we will ask a help.
>>

>Is this meant to imply that we should not look for donors who aren't
>actively involved in our projects?

I wouldn't read it that way.  Having information about the finances does
give people a greater sense of belonging, but the level of funding that
is needed for such a large operation is not going to be covered by what
the little people can afford.

Significant donors probably have other things to to with their time than
edit; they have a life.  Nevertheless they believe in Wikipedia, and
would like to help in the only way that they can by making donations.
In return it's perfectly fair to demand fiscal responsibility.  They
understand financial statements, and reviewing these reports will be
what will convince them that their donations are being responsibly used.

Ec