[Foundation-l] Mywikipediaspace

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Oct 8 20:22:34 UTC 2006

Matt Brown wrote:

>On 10/7/06, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>OTOH, technology accumulates fanboys. I pay close attention to
>>[[:en:Canon Digital IXUS]] and [[:en:Casio Exilim]]. I particularly
>>keep the former in good shape because I buy and sell them on eBay
>>(which is how come I took the photos of quite a few of the camera
>>models) and the table full of model info is a fantastically useful
>>reference to *me*.
>>

>Worth remembering.  It is hard to find a kind of product that SOMEONE
>isn't geeky about.  When researching what vacuum cleaner to buy, I
>found some really scary vacuum-cleaner nerds, including people who
>wired UK-compatible 240-volt sockets in American homes in order to use
>British appliances ...

That rewiring won't be that difficult if you accept the fact that North
American household voltage is 110 volts, which doubled will give 220
volts.  220 volt outlets are standard for air conditioners, kitchen
ranges and clothes dryers.  If you wire a kitchen outlet according to
code you will have a split circuit with one part at +110v. and the other
at -110v.  Joining the two will give 220v.

Proper 220v. outlets will have different pin configurations which also
vary according to the amperage to prevent having things plugged into the
wrong outlet.

Ec