[Foundation-l] Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Oct 3 08:25:03 UTC 2006

valdelli at bluemail.ch wrote:

>I strong support three different Wikimania: one for Europe/Africa,
>one for Asia/Australia, one form America.
>
>The Asia has got many problems and one Wikimania cannot solve them,
>but also the core of Wikipedians are in the Europe, but also the
>Digital Divide is a big problem in Africa, etc.
>
>Any choose will be always a "long long" discussion.

I have no objections to these regional meetups in addition to one big
worldwide event.  Having people meet internationally is very good for
getting to know each other.  There are several countries in Asia which
could handle the conference.  Australia too has several capable cities,
as does South America.

As for Africa and the digital divide it could be a humbling experience
for those of us from developed countries to go to a conference there.
We could have first hand experience of the difficulties in bringing
knowledge to the people of that continent.

Ec