[Foundation-l] [Announcement] Wikimedia promotion committee

Elisabeth Bauer elian at djini.de
Mon Oct 2 23:01:07 UTC 2006

geni wrote:
> On 10/1/06, Elisabeth Bauer <elian at djini.de> wrote:

>> == Visual identity guidelines ==
>>
>> The committee works on developing visual identity guidelines for the
>> projects. In the absence of project specific guidelines, the guidelines
>> for the Wikimedia logo are valid:
>> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wikimedia_visual_identity_guidelines
>>
>> If you design promotion stuff for your project, please follow them as
>> closely as possible (or we'll come and hunt you at night ;-)
>
> Well I would but in the interests of not breaking copyright law I
> think the "do not use foundation or project logos" route is somewhat
> safer.

No. If a project community wants to advertise their project in the
outside world, they _should_ use the project logo.

And not use a fake one for fear of breaking copyright. The wrongest
thing you could do is to design a Wikipedia flyer using
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:AnimationWIKIPEDIA001.gif

>> == Production of promotion material ==
>>
>> It's obvious that two people can't do all the necessary design work for
>> all the projects in the different languages. Currently, we focus on
>> creating a basic set of necessary things:
>> * Brochure (threefold, DIN A4), see http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Leaflet
>
> Can you fid the person who included the phrase "Our editors range in
> age from seven to
> seventy" and tell them that the projects are quite able to shoot
> themselves in the foot without foundation help? Or do you really want
> to advertise the posibility that we have 7 year olds editing something
> as solidly adult in content as wikipedia?

The text is here: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Leaflet/en - feel free
to rewrite and improve it ;-)

As a non-native speaker I have to rely on the help of volunteers.

>> == Logos ==
>>
>> The promotion subcom will act as intermediate institution between
>> community and board in the process of choosing new project logos. It
>> will check if community chosen project logos fullfill the necessary
>> requirements (format specification, copyright situation etc., see
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Logos) to become official project logos
>> and submit them with a recommendation to the board for approval.

> [[m:Instruction creep]]

Of course. A little story for you:
<rant>
Two days before the start of Wikimania 2005, in the organizers' office.
Elian is layouting the press kit, searching for highresolution versions
of all project logos. The wikibooks logo was available only as Wiki.png.

Scaled to print resolution, it was 10x12 mm which looked a bit small on
an DIN A4 page.

Brion had redrawn the wikibooks logo for a convention, unfortunately the
file was lost on a broken hard disk. No problem, let's just take a
digital camera, take a photo from the printout he still had, do a little
bit of filtering in gimp... So we used a photo of a bitmap graphic and,
at least for my part, are using it till today.

Shall I tell you the story of the t-shirt producer, too, who wanted to
print the wikipedia logo as a serigraph?

And all this because nobody thought - when the logos were chosen - that
logos are not just for the upper left corner of a mediawiki installation
but are needed in suitable versions for print as well.
</rant>

greetings,
elian