[Foundation-l] List Summary Service

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 16:37:26 UTC 2006

On 01/10/06, Pat Gunn <pgunn at dachte.org> wrote:

> I've started to summarise this list for people who don't want
> to slog through the whole thing (and to make it easy for translators
> to easily make foundation-l transparent to non-English speakers).
> To get the swing of it, I summarised all of September in my first
> go -- please see
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Improv/LSS/foundation-l-archives/2006_9_2430_wo

Good one!

(And that reminds me that I did in fact email juriwiki-l on the Soviet
PD question and, true to its reputation, juriwiki-l proved to be a
black hole for questions. Hooray. What was its purpose again?)

Use full names where you can, so Gerard and Gerard don't get mixed up.

> 1) Is it a good idea at all?

This is a FANTASTIC idea. Think of software development lists - people
read Kernel Traffic and Wine Weekly News when they wouldn't bother
with the lists.

> 4) Is it better that I host this on meta, someplace else on a WKF wiki,
>         or on one of my servers? If I do host it on a WMF wiki, where
>         should it land?

Meta sounds good. Somewhere linked from mailing lists pages, with a
category of list summaries.

I should mention also: it's an ongoing issue on the Foundation
committee lists to get someone willing to summarise them. How much
work was this for you?

- d.