[Foundation-l] Vandalism and small wikis

Sabine Cretella sabine_cretella at yahoo.it
Thu Nov 30 09:44:59 UTC 2006

> I don't understand you very well here. Many language (mostly
> European)are having nation marks (English, French, German, Russian,
> Albanina, Greek, Italian, ....)
You forgot that German is spoken in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and
Italy all three happily living together on one wiki - and of course:
there are some differences among these four versions of German, but
nevertheless they are ONE language.
French is spoken in France, Canada, Switzerland etc. and they work on
one Wikipedia.
Dutch is spoken in the Netherlands, Belgium and France and they work on
one Wikipedia.
Italian is spoken in Italy and Switzerland and they work on one Wikipedia.
English is spoken in Great Britain, USA, Australia, New Zealand etc. and
they all work on one Wikipedia.

Of course there are slight differences in the usage of certain
terminology, in writing etc., but they all happily work together. There
is the possibility, even now, to handle more than one language on a Wiki
and the smaller the communities of a certain language or variation or
dialect the more sense it makes to co-operate in one wiki for the simple
fact that the project has a better chance to survive - anyway the day is
not all too far that it will become even easier to hav various scripts
and dialects live on one wiki.

A Wiki project is about co-operation and not separation. You want to be
different: well, then show it and co-operate instead of allowing for
political separation. We all have one thing in common: we are human
beings and as such we have something called intelligence that
distinguishes us from other living forms ans as such we have the power
to decide ... the wiki way is co-operation and trying to understand each
other and not separation.

Languages develop over centuries, sometimes you have vowel shifts and
even stronger differences within one language ... well that is about
spoken language ... if you force the writing in a certain different way
that means that you create an artificial version of a language or you
write in a dialect.

Again: please co-operate and show that people, even living in different
nations, are able to work together.

Thank you for your attention and understanding.

Best,

Sabine